Friday, September 21, 2007

Where has the time gone?

Again I've slacked off in my blogging, but not so in my running. Nearing the end of the best stretch of training in my adult life, I feel ready to go for October 7. Two weeks ago, I completed a 71 mile week. Last week, I topped out @ 64 miles, with a half marathon race on Saturday. The tired legs excuse didn't wash, as I ran 1:21:21 for 3rd place. Some people said they thought the course was short, and I didn't wear a watch. But the effort was there, and I never felt like I was overextending myself. Exactly the way I wanted to complete this race - fast but not so much that it killed me. If I run nothing faster than 7:00 pace the rest of the way, I'll still be ready to go.

However, later in the week and now I'm feeling a bit tired, with sore legs and ready to taper. My program doesn't call for a long taper (only 10 days), so I have another 4-5 dyas of active training before the taper begins. One more long run on Sunday and a marathon pace workout next Tues or Wed and then I can relax...

Now the only real mystery left out there is what sort of pace should I shoot for? My pace runs have been 6:35-6:45 range, and my half race suggests that I should be able to handle 6:40s with no problem whatsoever. My rough goal is sub 2:55, and the hills in the last 5 miles indicate I need to be under 2:13 for 20 miles so I have a bit of a cushion for the last 10k. So 6:35-6:40 seems to be the target. The TCM course should pose no real problem with that type of pace, and I should have plenty of people to run with (2:55 is usually around 100th place).

I've decided not to run the Cross Country race next Saturday. Too close to the marathon, I don't want to worry about any injury I might suffer running over rough terrain. If it was a road race, then no problem. Besides, I can focus on watching and cheering for my daughter, who continues to improve and run really solid times for tough courses. Her 17:24 for 4k on the hardest course I've ever seen is right at 7:00 pace, and I think she could drop another minute before the end of the season. Her places have been really good too. 16th out of 80, 16th out of 42, 14th out of 70, and 6th out of 55 thus far, and 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, and 2nd for her team in the four races. She's got an excellent chance of getting in the top 10 this weekend in the Frosh/Soph race here in Janesville. This meet is on the same course where I ran my H.S. Cross PR of 15:58 for 3 miles. Can't wait!

No comments: