Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Old Man Winter...

Well I still am doing well for the winter, having run 38 out of 44 days. I'm averaging 7 miles a day, not that spectacular, but pretty good considering all of my runs have been outside... in Wisconsin. Last week the average temperature at 6:00 am when I was running was -9 F. This week it has warmed up considerably, but there's been a lot of snow.

Saturday was a nice run, and the -5 temps didn't seem that bad due to little wind. What really worked well is that my hands finally stayed warm. I use cotton/poly gloves, and put an old pair of socks over my hands/wrists. But instead of taking the socks off when I got too warm, and then putting them back on when the wind picked up, I left them on the whole time. i think if you monkey with it too much you get freeze/thaw type of deal, and that makes me more likely to get cold hands and wrists. I finished up 7.8 miles for Saturday. On Sunday I thought it was warmer (10), so I wore less clothes and pretty much was cold for the whole 7 miles. Monday brought 3-4 inches of snow, so I slogged through 5 miles knowing I'd need to shovel the driveway when I got home. Then Cathy decided to yell at me b/c I didn't get Mike up to shovel before school. Sometimes you just can't win...

Today it was almost 20 degrees, but very windy, and the snow started up again. So when I ran North or East, I was met with a stinging spray of snow pellets. I stopped after 1 loop (2.5 miles to put on shorts that would repel the snow. Only problem is they were lighter and shorter than the 1/2 sweats I was wearing over my tights, so the tights were more exposed and they got wet. I was cold and wet after the 3rd loop. So 7.5 miles this morning, and I'm 5 weeks ahead of the mileage pace I set last year. Considering I only ran an average of 28 mpw last year, it's not saying much. A better example might be to look at 2005, when I set my mileage best. I only ran 84 miles in February that year, so by tomorrow I'll already be ahead for the month.

Now I need to find a way to publicize my blog. Guess I'll get ahold of Chad.

No comments: